It’s not a place, it’s a coordinated approach to providing great care.
A Health Home is:
A network of community-based Care Management Agencies that work with individuals with serious and complex physical health, mental health and substance use disorders to achieve better health outcomes and reduce costs.
Client needs prior to Health Home enrollment
- No primary care practitioner (PCP)
- No connection to specialty doctor or other practitioner
- Poor compliance (missed appointments, etc.)
- Using the Emergency Department for the wrong reasons
- Repeated recent hospitalization for preventable conditions either medical or psychiatric
- Recent release from incarceration
- The patient’s needs cannot be effectively met by their current primary care provider.
Benefits of Health Home:
- Care Coordination and collaboration among providers.
- Decreasing Emergency Room and inpatient use.
- Supporting access to health care services.
- Linkage with community resources to provide comprehensive care.
Health Homes Achieve Savings and Improve Quality*
- 27% reduction in inpatient care post enrollment, compared to the same period prior to enrolling in a Health Home. Resulted in $275 million savings in NY impatient costs.
- 11% reduction in all-cause readmissions (a measure of readmission following acute inpatient stays)
After enrollment, individuals saw an increase in:
- Visits to primary care
- Medication compliance
Health Homes improve outcomes for members by coordinating healthcare and social services, which result in:
- A reduction of no-show appointments.
- Increased engagement in treatment.
- Support for members and their caregivers.
- Address underlying social determinants of health such as housing and employment.
*According to NY Health Home Coalition and NYS Care Management Coalition